Wednesday, November 23, 2011

On Family

My sister texted the other day asking if my other sister and I could help her out with some cash because her medical card is messed up and she needed some extra cash to pay the hospital. You see, we hardly ever hear from my sister and she only lets her presence be felt whenever she needs money. It's okay, I can spare some cash but it had me thinking: when and where should family draw the line?

It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I found out that our culture apparently dictates that the eldest child helps out in raising the family - pay for siblings' school, give monetary help for household expenses, etc. A good friend sent her sister to nursing school and was thoroughly relieved when her sister graduated and took the NCLEX. Which is cool and all, but I couldn't help thinking where their parents were and what they were doing. It's not as if they're destitute or anything, as a matter of fact, their family is pretty prominent in their province so it just puzzles me that my friend sprung for the tuition. I guess I'm pretty lucky because my parents never obliged us to do that and they would always say that the greatest gift that they could give us is education. And that's exactly my sentiment on this matter: parents should make it a priority to give their children the best education that they can afford.

It pains me to see people with the latest gadgets and branded clothes and fancy cars dropping their kids off at public school. My point isn't to trash the public school system but if parents can afford those gadgets and clothes and cars, why can't they send their kids off to a better school?