Sunday, October 08, 2006

Stuff
I don't understand why some people like living in misery and prefer to be depressed over one self-flaw after another. A friend (let's call her Ellie), who's very talented, would always put herself down at every opportunity and she does this everytime she's complimented. Sure, she's a bit overweight (who isn't? Except maybe Joelle) but that doesn't mean that people would shun her or ignore her work altogether because she's not skinny. It's just too frustrating having to deal with her sometimes. What I also don't understand is why she would always diss someone we know (let's call her Reed) and yet whenever I go to Reed's blog, I'd see that Ellie would comment every so often, ooohing and aaahing and answering Reed's meme questions. I just don't get it, since they're not even that close. A good friend advised her that if she doesn't like the person then she should quit reading her blog.

Several questions popped into my head upon reflection on the true nature of Ellie. Why does she still do the things she does if she says that they're shit? Does she relish compliments and yet feel guilty for getting them? Does she feel like she doesn't deserve all the nice things people say about her and her stuff? Does she really like Reed? Is she trying to get to Reed's good side by showering her with praises online? Or is she secretly jealous of Reed?

+++

How is crush defined really? Since I'm a lazy oaf, I'd rather look out the window and ponder on it instead of opening a new browser and visiting M-W.com. For me, it's more of an interest -- taking interest on how the person looks, what the person does and listening to his voice and to what that person is saying. It's also noticing how that person sticks out of the crowd, on how different he or she is from everyone you've met so far. The trigger could be as subtle as a softly spoken word that sparked your imagination, to an all-out bellow of unabashed machismo. Fact of the matter is you've sat up, took notice and zeroed in on a target. Enough is never enough until the time that you've thoroughly immersed yourself in everything about that person. In case you're curious, I have two. One 22 year old boy with a goofy smile and a forty-something Brit with a flawless American accent.

+++

My best friend Elaine recently returned from an exhilirating European business trip, where she surveyed boutiques, watched fashion shows and slipped in bits of sightseeing. On this trip, she revisited foggy London, encountered cellphone-thieving kids of Milan, observed the restrained and cliched (in a good way) prettiness of Paris and marveled at the majestic view of Florence. With all the stories she told me about her trip, she said one statement that burns in my mind, "Everybody should see the view of Florence from a mountaintop villa..." It's immensely beautiful and yes, someday, I'll see that. Thank you, Laine.

+++

I've been so busy with work lately that I haven't had time to read Neil's blog. I finally found time to do that earlier and I just realized that Fragile Things had been released and soon, The Absolute Sandman. I have the complete Sandman library but I still want to buy the Absolute edition, just because. Also, Alan Moore's erotica graphic novel Lost Girls is now on sale. I'm now calculating how much I need to save to buy those books. It's an expensive habit, I know.

+++

Here's a proud purchase:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Bought on sale at National Bookstore.

And some other things I got these past months:

Elaine's pasalubong (wee!):
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting