Movies
I've been meaning to do this but just wasn't in the mood til now. Well, better late than never. Here are the movies I
recently watched:
1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - You know all the raves that this movie got? Totally agree with it, even if Peter Jackson took some liberties, it just made the story even better. Call me sappy, but I cried when Elrond visited Aragorn and whipped out Narsil, Isildur's sword, and proclaimed Aragorn the rightful owner of the revered object; and when Theoden died. I still get teary-eyed whenever I watch the trailer. It's such a great movie, a fantastic ending to a magnificent series.
2. Duda - Why are Pinoy homosexuals so promiscuous? The movie is about this homosexual man who claims to have slept with thousands of men before meeting the love of his life. The relationship was ideal, but turned sour because of the main character's constant jealous/doubtful confrontations with his lover. The film is as indie as a pinoy film can get, fully digital and with nameless actors (except for Rey Pumaloy and a cameo by John Lapus. Herk.) portraying lead roles, which goes without saying that some actors were just horrible. Aside from the fact that the film looks like a college project, it effectively gives a realistic (?) glimpse of a Filipino homosexual's day-to-day life. It's not bad, but it's not that good either.
3. School of Rock - Can I just say that Jack Black totally rocks? School of rock is about a slob in an amateur band who was threatened by his roommate's girlfriend that he'd be kicked out of the apartment if he don't get to pay his share of the rent. That's just the start of his crappy day. Later that afternoon, his band fired him because of his kilometric solos and high-minded rock sensibilities that just doesn't jive with his about-to-sell-out bandmates. Luck smiled on him when one morning, he answered a phone call for his roommate (who's a subsitute teacher by profession) the caller being a private school offering a temp job. Jack (forgot his name in the movie) decided to pose as his roomie and accept the job. It's all a great deal of laughs from there, even if the storyline is a bit over-used. I want a handout of Jack Black's Rock and Roll 101.
4. The Gathering - Some sucky Christina Ricci movie with a biblical theme.
5. The Last Samurai - Priceless for how the movie depicted the Samurai way of life. Makes you want to be a samurai, but I'll leave Tom Cruise in the forest for dead. Another one of those Oh-My-God-Americans-Are-Great-And-Virtuous movies.
6. Stuck On You - Hilarious, as expected. Tito, Vic and Joey fans would appreciate the slapstick-style of the Farrelly Brothers. Sentimental in a sense and with deadly witty dialogue. Can I just say that Matt Damon alternates between looking like a dog and a total hottie in this movie? If you get down to the nitty-gritty, one can't find conjoined twins who aren't identical. Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear doesn't look too much alike. NERD MOMENT: conjoined (or siamese) twins happen when a fertilized egg cell doesn't complete its split or division to make a pair of babies destined to be identical twins. So technically, conjoined twins share the same DNA and should have the same appearance. Funny movie, nonetheless.
Conversation (with apologies to Woody Allen)
One morning in the office, I bumped into one of my "babies." Here's how the conversation went:
Baby: Hey! How are you?
Me: Great! And you?
Subtitle: Are you still a virgin?
Baby: Good. You got glasses! Were you wearing glasses before?
Me: Nah, I got them some weeks ago. How's work?
Subtitle: You're looking a little suave. You've been fooling around lately, now haven't you?
Baby: [thumbs up]
Me: Good, good. How's school?
Subtitle: Ngek. Smooth operator, smooooth operatoahr.
Baby: Great, trying to get through my thesis.
Me: That's great! Well, good luck!
Subtitle: You'll need it, virgin. Hope ya get lucky soon.
Baby: Thanks. See you around.
Me: Yeah, see you around.
Subtitle: I'll see you around.
-Fin-