You guys shouldn't miss Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers!
Who would've thought that the director of "Frighteners" would become one of Hollywood's memorable directors? If ever Peter Jackson gets stuck with the LOTR movies, that's okay with me since he has outdone himself with them. LOTR is not a bad work to rest his laurels on.
I read somewhere that Tolkien hated Hollywood and I kinda follow the same line of thought because I've seen countless books being shredded once Hollywood has lain its hands on them. "Interview With A Vampire" is a visual feast but nothing compared to the novel; "Possession" (the movie) is sacrilege to A.S. Byatt's literary masterpiece -- I'd totally understand if true-blue writers/authors get traumatized by Hollywood. Though not everyone would agree with me that Two Towers totally rocks, Jackson's spin on the novel is perfectly acceptable, even if he left some significant details (Wormtongue throwing the Palantir at Gandalf and co. out of pikon, much to the dismay of Saruman) but I trust that he'd somehow find a way to tell it in the third movie. That trait is I think one of Jackson's stronger points.
Can't wait for the third movie to come out.
Two Towers nugget:
The LOTR CG effects team created a program solely for the battle scenes wherein each character (and there are thousands of them) would have the capability to "think" for itself, running in random directions, etc., making the battle scenes look realistic. Lupet no?