I feel dirty for reading and actually finishing Fifty Shades of Grey. It was the buzz from most of the ladies I know that had me reluctantly download the digital version of the book. When I first started reading it, I couldn't get through page 4 - the writing is bad, really bad. I picked it up again a couple of days later, after I've recalibrated my expectations on the book, that and I was curious about the sex part of the story. It was a really easy read, very much like reading Harlequin romances (Harlequin novels have better writing and editing though). It's dirtily engaging, like watching TMZ. You hate yourself for reading it, but you can't help but read on. At first, I thought that I'd just be reading it for the sex, but even that part wasn't good; I've read better erotica that were beautifully written, and would really turn you on. I'm actually more curious about what happens to the characters.
I'm reading the 2nd, equally badly written installment and skipping the sex parts (not that I want to, but it gets old) and slogging through the story. Good luck to me. I should read something really nice after this.