Coach Ellen's Wisdom
Back in high school, when I was still swimming competitively, my coach would always tell me to finish every race I join. It didn't matter if I was the slowest, as long as I'm able to finish the distance. Coach and I were at a Milo Little Olympics meet, watching the other matches before mine. It was a 100-meter freestyle race and she was pointing out various arm positions, glide, strength of the kicks, etc., when one of the swimmers veered to the side of the pool and just stopped swimming. That swimmer's coach ran to the poolside and talked to the girl. I saw the girl shaking her head and proceeded to swim to the pool stairs to exit. My coach whispered that it's the worst thing you can do in a race -- quit in the middle of it. I saw on her face a deep disappointment on having to witness such a sight and the look was burned in my mind. To this day, I still remember her face, her advice and I still try to finish every race I'm in, even if I finish last.