The DVD sat on the shelf, dusty and hidden underneath discs like American Wedding and Torque for a little over a month before I finally mustered enough TV time to actually watch it. Now, I'm sorry I didn't watch it sooner. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou made me laugh so hard that juice almost squirted out of my nose; and cried so hard that I just couldn't stop myself from violently shaking with grief, admiration and heartdrain. I loved how the film touched on the life of a Jacques Cousteau-esque oceanographer named Steve Zissou, his exploits, rise to fame and imminent decline, plus a killer soundtrack. I also especially love how Bill Murray and Owen Wilson portray their respective characters and their short-lived relationship. The production design is vividly subdued, very theatre-looking with its doll-house like cross-section set of the Belafonte and unpretentiously fake underwater scenes. I think I'm at that age where people get taken by quiet, quirky and interesting films like this.
Tuesday, November 01, 2005
Aquatic
The DVD sat on the shelf, dusty and hidden underneath discs like American Wedding and Torque for a little over a month before I finally mustered enough TV time to actually watch it. Now, I'm sorry I didn't watch it sooner. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou made me laugh so hard that juice almost squirted out of my nose; and cried so hard that I just couldn't stop myself from violently shaking with grief, admiration and heartdrain. I loved how the film touched on the life of a Jacques Cousteau-esque oceanographer named Steve Zissou, his exploits, rise to fame and imminent decline, plus a killer soundtrack. I also especially love how Bill Murray and Owen Wilson portray their respective characters and their short-lived relationship. The production design is vividly subdued, very theatre-looking with its doll-house like cross-section set of the Belafonte and unpretentiously fake underwater scenes. I think I'm at that age where people get taken by quiet, quirky and interesting films like this.
The DVD sat on the shelf, dusty and hidden underneath discs like American Wedding and Torque for a little over a month before I finally mustered enough TV time to actually watch it. Now, I'm sorry I didn't watch it sooner. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou made me laugh so hard that juice almost squirted out of my nose; and cried so hard that I just couldn't stop myself from violently shaking with grief, admiration and heartdrain. I loved how the film touched on the life of a Jacques Cousteau-esque oceanographer named Steve Zissou, his exploits, rise to fame and imminent decline, plus a killer soundtrack. I also especially love how Bill Murray and Owen Wilson portray their respective characters and their short-lived relationship. The production design is vividly subdued, very theatre-looking with its doll-house like cross-section set of the Belafonte and unpretentiously fake underwater scenes. I think I'm at that age where people get taken by quiet, quirky and interesting films like this.