Friday, July 29, 2005

Grocery
Image hosted by Photobucket.comWent with my mom to a warehouse grocery called Cost-U-Less last week and found myself delightfully astounded with the place. It's a spacious warehouse, similar to the old Uniwide Sales stores, only bigger. Of course, it has a lot of stuff in there, local and imported goods displayed side by side. I was browsing the freezer section and guess what I saw? Wagyu Beef! This is more commonly known as Kobe Beef, touted as the "caviar of beef." It's a beautiful piece of meat, healthy pink with plenty of extraordinary marbling due to the pampered existence of these lucky (well, until the end) cows. These Kobe cows eat only barley and beer and is constantly massaged by human hands to evenly distribute the fat. My mom says that these cows are put in harnesses and hung by the torso so they won't develop too much muscles. Of course, all the primo-treatment comes with a hefty price tag -- Wagyu Beef costs Php 5,700 per kilo! And that's in the discount warehouse store. I wonder how much this will cost in the regular grocery stores? That is, if they're brave enough to acquire it. They also sell it by slices of steak, which costs Php 1,200 more or less, depending on the weight of the steak. I'd want to try one someday, maybe when I get over the initial feeling of why-the-hell-should-I-pay-that-much-for-meat-when-I-can-buy-a-perfectly-decent-one-for-a-lot-less-money?

Big Sob!
Image hosted by Photobucket.comI cried while reading the latest Harry Potter. I'm such a dork, but somebody died and I won't mention who lest I be the cause of your ruined enjoyment of the book.