Neil Addiction
"Stories may well be lies, but they are good lies that say true things, and which can sometimes pay the rent." -Neil Gaiman, from his journal in Neilgaiman.com
He's brilliant, isn't he? I just finished reading most of his short stories in Smoke and Mirrors, and I really can't get over how bloody brilliant he is. He's everything I want to become as a writer (that is, ifever I decide to become one, although I'd rather be a reader). I also recently finished Alan Moore's Watchmen, a more sophisticated take on masked heroes. Although Alan Moore's work is considered to be THE piece that revolutionized the comic book/graphic novel medium and paved the way for budding writers like Neil, his prose isn't as elegant and lacks the poetic flourish of Neil's works. Inspite of this, much respect to Mr. Moore and his amazing mind.
Going back to Mr. Gaiman, I can't seem to get enough of him -- he has totally devoured my mind and my imagination. All my life, I've successfully avoided any form of serious addiction (don't ask how and why), so I guess this is how it feels to be totally hooked. It seems like I'm carrying him around in my head all day, his words always heavy in my brain.
Culture Month
The good thing about having performance artist friends is you get to see and thoroughly enjoy their works. Dawaya wrote and directed an original musical called "Saranggola Ni Pepe" based on the song that her dad wrote and her mom sung. It was actually amazing,like Batibot on acid. Lalapot did the wonderful costumes and production design.
Jo naman, danced beautifully as one of the main characters in PBT's "Isang Bagong Bituin." I was surprised because I thought that she'd just dance a pas de deux but she was actually one of the leads! I'm so proud of her, she worked long and hard and she deserves all the good things that's happening to her. Big bonus was seeing Lucas (and beso-ing him post-show. Wish I pinched his yummy arse) in tights again. I swear, male ballet dancers have the tightest, most luscious buns! Heee.