Friday, November 07, 2003

Time of Your Life
A former officemate dropped by work today to fix her clearance and shit, and I got to catch up with her a bit. She said that she spent 3 and a half months backpacking in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia with her boyfriend and other mountaineer friends. Gads, I was so green with envy when she was telling me what a huge, wonderful experience it was. Dinger and I asked how much she spent and she said that she didn't want to think about how much she spent, much less talk about it, and gave a vague ballpark figure of the same amount as the price of a second-hand car. I'm so super inggit. If ever my right ankle works, HAH! I'd be doing all those extreme stuff you see on T.V. Hmn. This is probably why God decided to make my right ankle useless.

Anyway, just a little side kwento. Dinger was with me when I was talking to my former officemate about her Mekong Region adventures and when she found out how much it cost, she said "Ay! Mahal! Ayoko na, di ko maa-afford yan." And the former officemate quipped, "Kaya nga nagwo-work e." Come to think of it, why exactly are we working? To earn money, of course, but after earning money, what worthwhile stuff do we spend it on? Someday, I'd like to be able to do what she did and have the adventure of my life. It saddens me that Dinger immediately trashed the idea now that she has an inkling on how much it costs. Why does money have to be such a tremendous obstacle? I may be naive and idealistic, but if you really want to do or achieve something, nothing, not even money can get in your way. I understand that Dinger shelters her parents (pays for the rent, etc.) but generally, I also don't see why parents should hold their children back from living their lives fully. I want to experience the world (so to speak) while I'm young and capable of doing a lot of things. I told Dinger that we should do something like that while we're young because when we're old, we'll just sit and work and wait. I don't like being in a position where you say to yourself, "Sayang, di ko nagawa yan." Darn, I need to do some rehabilitation shit on Dinger. Project! Project!