Monday, March 10, 2003

In a few days, I'll be going to Boracay again. I haven't met anybody who's been there who did not fall in love with the place. For me, it's not just a big fat pick up place, but more of a 'soul' place. I discovered what I wanted to do, what I wanted to be on my first trip there.

Delroy and I went to this little souvenir store by the crepe place, browsing for stuff to buy for people. A sudden rainstorm assaulted the island and we were stuck in the little hut with shark jaws and teeth adorning the walls. The light went out and the owner named Perry and his wife brought out candles and chatted with us for the duration of the power outage. I really don't remember much of what we talked about, Manong Perry spoke in Visayan and the wife translated what she could in Tagalog. They even brought us some herbal tea while we played with their kids amid the seashell necklaces. They didn't seem to have much, but you can see the happiness in their eyes. When the power came back on, we said our goodbyes and headed out to the shore. I don't know what came over me and Delroy, but we were quietly mulling over the little experience as we walked out the hut. It probably was the herbal tea that we drank, but I felt like I finally found home. Delroy and I quietly sat on a banca parked on the beach and watched a breathtaking sunset illuminating theManong Perry wearing a sarong playing with his son and their dog on the beach. I realized then how much I'd like to have that kind of life, simple, close to nature and close to the people you love.

I can't wait to go back there.