Friday, September 06, 2002

August 31 was supposed to be Samantha's wedding day. The two of us spent the night in Whistlestop Libis, for lack of a quiet place to hang out in the area since every establishment is packed with chattering teenagers and it's almost impossible to get into Eastwood due to the heavy traffic on the road by Citibank.

Anyway, we girls agreed last year when Porky called off his and Samantha's engagement that we'll be spending August 31st together as a sort of estro nurture party to a wounded woman but only I made it to the date. Ironically, Samantha was positively glowing when she walked in the drab restaurant, a cloud of desirability surrounding her, so thick, you could almost smell it. She didn't seem like a wounded woman to me and the first thing that I said to her by way of greeting is "Best wishes, beautiful" which she rewarded with a hearty guffaw (honestly, I thought I'd have my foot jammed in my mouth that moment). We just talked the whole night, laughed about those good old college days and talked about serious stuff as well. Admittedly, the first time I met Samantha, I wouldn't have thought that we'd be as close as we are now, you just have to look at us to see how much our looks and lifestyles contrast. Most of us forget that real friendship goes beyond looks, lifestyles and other superficial stuff, and I'm glad to know that Samantha is a real friend.